Get a Building Permit
A building permit is required for any new construction or activity that would expand, change, or replace an existing structure or use. It is obtained from the Code Enforcement Officer. This requirement is set forth in the City of Calais Land Use Codes, Chapter 5, Section 2. A table showing permitted uses in certain zones can also be found in this section. An "S" indicates that site plan approval from the Planning Board is required.
Although the ordinance allows up to 30 days for review, a straight forward residential permit or accessory structure can be obtained in a day or two.
Building Permit Application Process The form is available at the bottom of this page. Every application for a building permit must be in writing and signed and dated by the applicant. The application must include information as lawfully may be required by the Code Enforcement Officer and must include a site plan at a suitable scale showing:
- The shape, size, and location of the lot to be built upon;
- The shape, size, height, and location of the buildings to be erected, altered, or removed ;
- Any buildings already on the lot;
- Setback distances of the new structures from adjoining lots;
- Any other information needed by the Code Enforcement Officer or Planning Board to determine whether provisions of the Ordinance are being observed
A fee schedule based on square footage of gross floor area is now in effect. The fees are as follows:
- Building Permit $50.00 minimum PLUS $30 per 1,000 square foot of gross floor area or fraction thereof. This shall apply to residential, commercial and institutional structures
- Exception $25.00 for accessory structures and additions to residential structures with a footprint up 800 square feet
- Inspection Fee $25.00 per building or plumbing permit fee will be charged to defray the cost of inspection, which is required by state law (MRSA Title 25, Chapter 313 and Uniform Plumbing Code)
- Demolition No charge, for record keeping only
- Site Plan Review $50.00 minimum PLUS $25.00 per 1,000 square feet of gross floor area or fraction thereof. This shall apply to commercial, industrial, institutional structures, and residential structures located in the shoreland zone requiring site plan approval (nonrefundable). This is in addition to any building permit fees